Stanton County, one of the smallest of Nebraska’s ninety-three counties, is located in Northeast Nebraska. The county is part of the Elkhorn Valley.
Between the years 1856 and 1862 the area which now comprises of Stanton County, was known as Izard County. It was named in honor of Mark W. Izard, second territorial governor of Nebraska. The name of the county was changed in 1862 to Stanton, in honor of Edwin M. Stanton, War Secretary to President Abraham Lincoln. Stanton County was organized three years later.
The first permanent settlement was established on Humbug Creek, a tributary of the Elkhorn River, located in the northeastern part of the county, in September of 1865.
The unnamed county seat was merely a location near the center of the county. With no proper county seat, county business and the commissioner meetings simply moved with the clerk. The first commissioner’s proceedings were recorded on Jan 23, 1867.
In April, 1871, the first county building was erected in Pt NESE 20-23-2. This building was located approximately 3 blocks east of the present courthouse location.
Pilger is the only other town in Stanton County. It was platted in May of 1880, and named after Peter Pilger, owner of the original town site located in Pt SW 35-24-3.
Stanton County economy is, and always has been based on agriculture. The agricultural base is characterized by livestock production with more grain grown for feed than for cash grain. The two towns in the county, which serve the rural population, have remained relatively small. The county was populated by people from many states and foreign countries who came together to establish the rich social fabric which remains today.
Map of County
[Back History Page]